Looking for Hemp Soothe Salve? Click here to go to our sister site- HempSootheSalve.com
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition affecting the skin. It causes the rapid build-up of skin cells, creating scaly, bumpy patches where skin cells can multiply up to 10 times faster. These patches are often found on the body, face, or scalp and can cycle through dissipating and flaring up.
Psoriasis requires an accurate diagnosis from a qualified care provider, which will help guide treatment, as it differs from eczema and other skin conditions.
The causes of psoriasis are not simple, but flare ups can be triggered by stress, weather, lifestyle choices, and smoking (one more reason to quit).
There is no simple cure for psoriasis, but working with a trusted healthcare provider to identify triggers and making lifestyle changes can help to lessen psoriasis symptoms. Many people who suffer from psoriasis notice that treating with alternating topical products is an important part of the plan. We’ve consulted with some of our favorite practitioners to give you the scoop on natural options for soothing your psoriasis.
Our Top Picks for Psoriasis
Please note: For silly e-commerce platform policy reasons, this product is sold on our sister site, so it requires a separate transaction. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we assure you this Amazing product is worth a extra few clicks!
Hemp Soothe Salve contains licorice, calendula, comfrey, plantain, St. John’s wort, burdock, thyme, Tocopherol and Hemp (oil and full spectrum extract with CBD ). It is scented with essential oils of frankincense, lavender, geranium and peppermint among others.
These essential oils are also considered effective for soothing symptoms of psoriasis as well as being aromatherapy for anxiety and to promote relaxation and sleep.
This powerful product is always our first go to for adults and older children with psoriasis. The scent is wonderful but may be too strong for a younger child or person who needs to avoid all scent and essential oils.
Citrus Grove Ultra Healing Body Butter uses luxurious, organic, fair trade shea butter to moisturize skin. We love shea butter for psoriasis because of its richness and ability to penetrate rough dry skin. This delicious butter is scented with essential oils of sweet marjoram, bergamot and benzoin, providing grounding aromatherapy while it nourishes skin.
Advanced Nightly Face Oil/Serum contains tamanu oil which many people find helps reduce the severity of their psoriasis. Tamanu oil is a natural anti-inflammatory that helps skin heal faster and helps promote collagen production, which in turn helps with managing symptoms of psoriasis. Furthermore, one NIH study confirmed Tamanu oil to be a wound healing and antimicrobial agent. In short, Tamanu oil is an Amazing addition to our Advanced Nightly Face Oil Serum and that's why we love it so much!
Licorice Love is a gentle, unscented powder cleanser which many people love for psoriasis. Licorice root is a known anti-inflammatory and has been used topically for thousands of years! Add your own water to make it your desired consistency. Allow it to sit for a few minutes before rinsing. Be sure to follow up with an OAH Salve, Butter, or Oil.
Magic Face Potion is truly magic in a bottle. This serum is jam paced with botanical actives known to promote cell turnover, boost collagen production, reduce inflammation, soothe irritation, and increase ceramide production. With a blend of meadowfoam, grapeseed, rosehip, pomegranate, evening primrose, and sea buckthorn oils, this highly nutritive face oil is also deeply moisturizing. We recommend using daily for facial eczema to support the skin as it heals.
Ready for relief? Check out our Psoriasis Care Set. All of our Amazing psoriasis care products, bundled beautifully together. It also makes a great gift!!
Natural Herbs for Psoriasis Treatment
Here is a short list of herbs that herbalists and naturopaths find helps their patients with psoriasis. More proof that Herbs Are Amazing!
- Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice) root- anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating herb that supports the liver; supports the white blood cells of the immune system without over stimulating them
- Cannabis sativa (Hemp)- Omega fatty acids help skin to rebuild; Chronic damaged skin from the plaques and scales of psoriasis affects the nerves of the skin, hemp extract can address the nerves specifically (Hemp Extract), although the pathways of this action are still being researched and identified
- Calendula officinalis (Calendula)- Inflammation modulating, along with Yarrow, Chamomile; helps replenish ceramides in the skin
Symphytum officinale (Comfrey)- speeds healing of cracked skin and
wounded areas of chronic psoriatic plaques
Plantago major (Plantain)- inflammation modulator brings down
inflammation so healing can go forward
- Hypericum perforatum (St. John’s Wort)- flowers address nerve pain
- Arctium lappa (Burdock)- cooling; as a bitter herb, provides anti-inflammatory properties
- Galium aparine (Cleavers)- detoxifying to inflammation of skin
- Thymus vulgaris (Thyme)- antibacterial, antiviral & anti-fungal to prevent infection that can occur when skin integrity is compromised
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E, Non-GMO)- heals the skin to prevent scarring
- Boswellia carteri (Frankincense)- inflammation modulator- decreases inflammation to promote healing
- Shea butter– natural, effective moisturizer; thicker & heavier to provide deep moisture, which is especially important for dry patches of psoriasis
- Essential oils are different from whole herbs and botanicals because they are very concentrated, so there are essential oils specifically recommended for psoriasis that sometimes differ from the recommendations regarding the whole plant or cold extracted oil. Some essential oils that we have seen recommended by aromatherapists and herbalists for psoriasis are lavender, geranium, peppermint, sweet marjoram, bergamot and frankincense.
About Ora’s Amazing Herbal:
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out as we’re always happy to help..
This blog was originally published on. It's been updated on Sept 12, 2023.