What is an herbal steam?
Herbal steams are one way to utilize herbs as a powerful avenue to move stagnancy in the respiratory system and nurture the skin. This ancient practice has healing capabilities known to relieve sinus congestion, alleviate nasal cavity stuffiness, and help runny roses. In addition to the decongestant qualities, it also promotes circulation in the face, tightens, tones, and cleanses impurities from the skin. It is one of the best remedies in times of illness, renewal, and relaxation. Incorporating herbs into the bathtub is another amazing therapeutic experience that will nourish you from inside to out.
Herbal steams have been traditionally used for thousands of years amidst diversities of civilizations. They were implemented into a variety of cultures throughout the globe and used for purification, ritual, illness, soothing, and beautification. Herbal steams and incorporating them into your bath rituals are truly a wonderful holistic self-care practice to be embedded into your lifestyle!
Amazing Herbs, Amazing Steam!
Let’s dive into some herbs you could use in herbal steam, or an herbal bath to promote lung health, support the upper respiratory system, and nurture your skin!
- Olive Leaf– anti-microbial, anti-viral, protects lungs from damage
- Rosemary– anti-microbial, antioxidant, circulatory stimulant, beautifies hair and skin
- Basil– anti-fungal, anti-microbial, antioxidant, anti-bacterial
- Lavender– anti-microbial, reduces tension, stress, and insomnia
- Peppermint– anti-bacterial, expectorant
- Chamomile– anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, relaxing to the nervous system
- Thyme– anti-microbial, anti-spasmodic (meaning that when inhaled, cough spasms are reduced), antioxidant, expectorant
- Eucalyptus– promotes drainage from congestion, soothes coughs, nourishes respiratory tract, enlivens breath passageways
How Do I Steam Herbs to Get the Benefits?
There are a few different ways you can prepare this blend of herbs in a way that you feel the best fit! We have created a delicious blend in our Take a Breather to help make it easier to reap all of the benefits. The first option is by making an infusion of these herbs by putting an ounce of herb to one quart of hot water. You can enjoy the inhalation over the tea as it steeps and can choose to drink the tea as it is done or drink a few cups throughout the day.
Another method, which is the most preferred and is extremely effective, is complete facial inhalation.
- Place an ounce of herbs to a quart of boiling water
- Position your face over the bowl of water, be mindful that it is not too hot!
- Cover the top of your head with a towel, with the towel acting like a canopy
- Close your eyes and inhale the steam for around 10-15 minutes at a time
- Feel relaxed, rejuvenated, and in better health
After using a facial steam, be sure to apply a face serum or oil to moisturize your skin. We love using either Lightweight Daily Nourish Face Oil Serum or Magic Face Potion. Both are packed with nutrients and antioxidants to keep skin healthy.
The last method we love is placing these herbs in a muslin cloth bag or a teabag when getting into the bathtub! You can use the same ratio in the tub to deliver all of these benefits to your whole body. It has an effective, therapeutic effect and is personally one of my favorite ways to incorporate herbs into my bath care ritual!
Looking for an easy way to incorporate herbal steams?
Check out our Take a Breather.
This aromatic blend of herbs can be used to improve skin and respiratory health.
Stay healthy, happy, and well! Your skin and respiratory system will love you for this.
Written By Guest Blogger:
Ora’s Amazing Herbal creates natural, herbal infused skincare for the whole family. We strive to empower women through self care, one minute at a time (because let’s be honest, as moms- often a minute is all we have)! Our current line includes salves, powders, body oils, body butters, face oil serums, powder facial cleansers, beard & hair oils, lip balms, and herbal steams. We also have a natural baby care line which includes gentle newborn and baby salves, powders, and baby oil. We use high quality, non-gmo, fair trade oils and organic herbs to create skin care that is both pure and effective. Our products are crafted in small batches in New Jersey and are free from talc, grain, lanolin,chemical preservatives, synthetic dyes & fragrances, parabens, and animal testing. We also have a huge focus on sustainability, eco-friendly packaging, and kindness to the world around us. If you’d like to learn more, please check out our website- OrasAmazingHerbal.com.